Burray Village, situated on Watersound, has about 75 houses centred round its pier, once a busy port and fishery station during the herring boom in the 19th century.
The former fish store is now the Sands Hotel, built in 1860. Fishermen still use the pier, as do dive boats.
The oldest building in the village is the Storehouse with an external stair built in 1645 to store grain for the Burray estate.
A boat building yard was in use in Burray for many years.
Burray Village was cut off from North Sea shipping by the construction of the Churchill Barriers.
© Catherine Turnbull