B109, wreck site, Scapa Flow
SMS B109 motor torpedo boat destroyer was built in Hamburg by Blohm & Voss for the Imperial German Navy, and launched in March 1915 as the first unit of the B109 class. Interned in Scapa Flow at the end of 1918, B109 was one of over 70 German ships that scuttled themselves on 21 June 1919.
The ship was partly salvaged by Cox and Danks in 1926, and used as a platform to aid the salvaging of the bigger battleships. A report by the Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments Scotland (RCAHMS) of 2003 assumes the vessel was successfully salvaged, but there are suggestions that some of the wreckage might remain: 'artifacts, fittings and, possibly, structural elements may survive on or in the seabed at the location of scuttling. Depressions in the seabed may also represent the locations of the turrets or superstructure.'