SS Collingdoc, wreck site, Burray
This steel steam cargo ship was originally SS DB Hanna, built in 1925 in Middlesbrough by Furness Shipbuilding Co. She saw several years' service as a Great Lakes steamer, and was bought in 1939 by Paterson Steamships Ltd, who renamed her SS Collingdoc.
Purchase by Ministry of War Transport (MOWT) after the outbreak of WWII, she struck a mine near to Southend Pier as she set off from London for the Tyne on 13 July 1941. She was refloated and delivered to the Admiralty at Rosyth, finally scuttled as a blockship at Scapa Flow in March 1942.
Once, a substantial part of her structure could be seen at low tide; now she is firmly embedded in the build-up of sand at the south-east end of Barrier no 4.