SS Giralda wreck site, South Ronaldsay
The Leith-based Merchant Navy vessel SS Giralda saw service in WWII as a collier ship, carrying coal to the Scapa Flow naval base. On 30 January 1940 she was sunk by enemy aircraft off the coast of South Ronaldsay with the loss of her entire 23-man crew. A memorial stone and the graves of most of the crewmen can be found at St Olaf's Cemetery, Kirkwall.
Many of the crew had Shetland connections and on the 70th anniversary of the sinking of the ship The Shetland Times published this article http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2010/01/29/heart-rending-wartime-loss-of-crew-of-giralda-to-be-remembered-70-years-on.