The Scapa Flow Landscape Partnership Scheme

 

Kaiser, wreck site, Scapa Flow

The German battleship SMS Kaiser was built in 1911 at the Imperial Dockyard in Kiel, and launched in 1912, lead ship of Kaiser class of battleships. She was assigned to the third squadron of the High Seas Fleet for most of WWI, participating in many of the major operations during the war. At the Battle of Jutland in 1916, SMS Kaiser was hit once but suffered only slight damage.

 
In 1918 the ship was escorted to Scapa Flow with the rest of the High Seas Fleet, and took part in the mass scuttle on 21 June 1919. In August 1928 the salvage company Cox and Danks began the process of sealing up SMS Kaiser, finally raising her on 10 March 1929 and towing her to Rosyth to be broken up for scrap.