King’s Hard, Flotta
King George V, himself a Naval officer, inspected the troops at Stanger, Flotta, on 9 July 1915. A stone jetty and a flight of steps was especially created for the occasion.
The King landed as planned and climbed the stone steps to Stanger Head, where many of the other Orkney garrisons had gathered for inspection. His Majesty looked over the camp and then proceeded to a church service near the farm of Whanclett, where the Archbishop of York Dr Cosmo Lang (later Archbishop of Canterbury) held an open air service for some 14,000 people. James Sutherland of Flotta recalls that the prelate and attendants used his family's ben-end to change into their clerical robes.
The jetty and steps of the King's Hard are still visible but slippery and overgrown.