SMS Derfflinger, wreck site, Scapa Flow
Built in 1913 by Blohm and Voss in Hamburg, and finished in July 1914, SMS Derfflinger was the main ship of the three-strong Derfflinger class, considered to be the best battlecruisers in the world at that time.
SMS Derfflinger, with SMS Von Der Tann, took part in the bombing raids on Scarborough in December 1914, intended to deflect attention away from the laying of a minefield off the English coast. She was also instrumental in the sinking of HMS Queen Mary at the Battle of Jutland in 1916.
Scuttled on 21 June 1919 with most of the High Seas Fleet, she was sold to Metal Industries Ltd in 1936. The wreck was raised in 1939 - the deepest ship to be lifted (from 45 metres) and the last to be raised intact. She was moved to a mooring off Rysa Little, where she remained, upside down, throughout WWII.
SMS Derfflinger was eventually towed south for scrap in 1946, broken up at Faslane on the river Clyde.