St Peter’s Kirk, South Ronaldsay
The stone-built, harled church of St Peter (also known as North Kirk) was built in 1642 and renovated in 1801. The wooden pews run the length of the long, narrow building and the pulpit stands against the south wall. This arrangement, once common, is now rarely seen in Orkney.
During the restoration works in the 19th century a stone was found built into the window sill, bearing Pictish symbols (and believed to date from 500-800AD). It is now on display in the National Museum of Scotland. The graveyard outside contains several stones from the mid-17th century.