Sutherland Pier, Flotta
Sutherland Pier was one of two built during WWII, the other being Gibraltar Pier. It was named in honour of Forby Sutherland, a Flottarian who sailed with Captain James Cook on the Endeavour. Whilst anchored off Botany Bay in 1770, Sutherland died of tuberculosis. His body was taken ashore and buried - the first European, it is believed, to be buried in Australian soil.
The pier is used by the oil terminal and local fishing boats. In recent years it has been overhauled and extended by Orkney Islands Council.