The Scapa Flow Landscape Partnership Scheme

 

The Girnel, St Mary’s, Holm

Standing on the shore in the village of St Mary's this stone building, with its distinctive crow-stepped gables and steeply pitched roof, dates from the early 17th Century. It was once used to store grain and other resources to pay 'skat' - a form of tax due in times of Udal Law. According to local lore, the store was looted in 1694 by two French privateers who stole anything of value from the building.
Copyright 2011 Scapa Flow Landscape Partnership Scheme