Tomison’s Academy, South Ronaldsay
This imposing building once housed Tomison's Academy, founded by William Tomison (1739-1829). Having made his fortune working for the Hudson's Bay Company in northern Canada, he left a bequest of £6,000 for the school to be built. It was completed in 1851 and provided a free education for the children of the three South Ronaldsay parishes. When it opened, it had a roll of 170 pupils. The school eventually closed in the 1960s and now stands empty.
When Tomison died he was buried in the garden of his home, Dundas House, which stands across the road from the school he founded.