The Scapa Flow Landscape Partnership Scheme

 

Weems Castle, South Ronaldsay

This mound, believed to be a broch site, has been known at various times as Lady Wemyss Castle and St Lowrie's Castle. The Orcadian of 1903 mentions the tradition of underground dwellings and  passageways known as a 'weems'.
 
The site comprises a large overgrown mound of debris about 20 metres in diameter, with two concentric partial walls on the east side.